Friday, March 7, 2008

Thunder! Lightning!

We're supposed to get snow overnight--one to two inches, which in the Tennessee valley in March is a lot of snow. But right now, I keep seeing lightning and hearing thunder! So maybe we'll just get a good thunderstorm and some rain instead of snow, which is fine by me. Tomorrow morning is the last day of the Knoxville Public Library's book sale, which I was planning to attend (except for last year, when I was living in Pennsylvania, I haven't missed the sale in over a decade).

I think I'll go to bed and watch "Forensic Files" and listen to the thunder, and hopefully I'll get started writing the story I worked out last night. The story is one I hope will work for the Harvest Hill anthology. I have to get into that anthology, or die trying, because its theme is scary Halloween events in the fictitious town of Harvest Hill in East Tennessee. Where I LIVE.

Problem is, I don't ordinarily write horror. I think my story idea is a good one--I know I scared myself silly with it last night, which has made me grouchy and low all day, because between working the plot out and staring fearfully into the dark, I didn't get much sleep last night. Now I just need to write the damn thing.

Oh, wow, RAIN! Lots of it! Hmm, sounds like it might even be hail. I'll go check.

It's either little hail or big sleet. Either way, the wind is blowing ferociously and the rain is beating down and there's thunder and lightning, and I'm back to thinking about my scary story. I'm going to bed. To hide.

4 comments:

Cate Gardner said...

Good luck working on your Harvest Hill submission - I'm in the midst of mine at the moment.

Writing about Tennessee in windy England is no easy feat.

Cate

K.C. Shaw said...

Cool, good luck to both of us!

If you have any questions about setting, feel free to ask me. All I have to do is look out the window to answer. :)

Cate Gardner said...

Cheers KC... My story has slipped to far into the surreal. I think I'm going to have to start again.

K.C. Shaw said...

Well, I'm about 1,500 words in on mine and I still haven't even reached the scary parts. I think I'm going to have to cut everything I've written so far and start again, so I feel your pain!